Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Psalm 23



I like sheep. They look so harmless and innocent it would almost look like a crime to kill one.
Unfortunately for them, the Jews, in ancient times, would cut the throat of a spotless lamb and burn it at a stone altar. Unfair, isn't it?
Well, yes. But that has to be.
The lamb's life symbolized an offering for Israel's sins, with the spilt blood metaphorically cleansing the people from their imperfections.
Hmm, you may say. This has got something to do with the only way for me to be saved from Hell, does it? Yes, it sure does!

This Psalm, written by King David, is one of my favorites. He compares himself to a sheep under the Shepherd's care.

The Lord is my Shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul:
He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no evil: for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies,
and anoint my head with oil;
my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sheep are said to be one of the most stupid animals on earth. Easily distracted. Often LOST. Sheep cant take care of each other. They often get each other in trouble! hahaha! Sheep need a shepherd to guide them, to care for them.

We are sheep. We do a lot of stupid things. We are LOST without our shepherd. But then we arent JUST sheep. As much as we are sheep, we are also shepherds.

And so we have to make a choice.

Jesus asked Peter "Peter, do you love me?"

Peter replied "Yes, I love You Lord."

"Then feed my lambs." Jesus replied. "do you love me." He asked again.

"Ofcourse I love you Lord." said Peter.

"Then take care of my sheep." Jesus said again. Once more Jesus asked Peter "DO you love me Peter?"

This time Peter was hurt. "You know my heart Lord. You know that I love you."

"Feed my sheep Peter." Jesus said.

The choice then is between becoming just a stupid sheep or a sheep and a shepherd as well.

Just as Jesus was, we are too Jef... Shepherds of the Lord's flock.

COme home safe Jef...

Psalm 23.

I love you kuya!