Saturday, May 31, 2008

before the jump

Clad in nothing but a pair of blue shorts, I stood there, awkward and apprehensive, watching the chlorine-green water lick the glossy tiles of the pool side.

It was almost empty, except for a handful of white-haired seniors performing water exercises (which relieves their arthritic joints, apparently). And yet I felt so uneasy, so uncomfortable, so... naked. So I half-tried to tuck in my enormous belly and looked down. It still bulged out like a baby bump, so I hastily crossed my arms and retreated to the seats close to the exit.

Just the day before, I mustered enough willpower to drag myself into a sports club in McAllen to enroll for membership. My weight, apparently, had ballooned to a hundred and seventy pounds because of three-night-stand with Lady Gluttony in Houston. Ohhh.. my legs still get shaky when I think of those Vietnamese noodles.

Upon arriving home after my, erm, affair, it took less than a moment for me to hear the singular, screeching, jeering condemnation from my mother's weighing scale and all my nursing textbooks: "YOU'RE A BIG FAT WHALE!"

Maybe what drove me was the unhappy realization of my own sheer hypocrisy. Here I was, supposedly a health-educator/advocate, being trained to save the vast herd of hypertensive and heart-attack prone patients that will be under my care in the next few years, from the evils of those irresistibly yummy and oil-drenched burgers and fries from McDonald's, only to realize that I was slowly becoming one of them.

Or maybe it was the growing discomfort I have when I wear my blue jeans. Four years ago (yes, I've been wearing the same pair all this time and I'm still glowingly happy with it, thank you very much) I had to wear a belt to keep it from falling to my feet. Now, every time, just to keep the button from popping off, I have to do the tummy-tuck maneuver that I so gracefully performed as I described above and then wiggle myself into my increasingly tight pants.

I don't know. Whatever it was, it was enough to convince me sign a contract that entailed me shelling out 45 dollars a month for the next school year.

After warily scanning their wrinkled faces, I realized that the aquatic seniors weren't looking at me. Heck, I thought, they don't even know that I'm here. Throwing all inhibitions aside, I breathed and sighed -- with the air going out of me like a deflating old tire -- and leaped into the shimmering hope that flapping my legs and feet in smelly pool-water for enough number of times would make me physically fit.

4 comments:

poy said...

hahaha! Takbo ka Jef, up and down the stairs?... 2 months, malaki na agad results... :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks Paul. I'll try it. Hehe. How long do I have to run every day?

FIFA 15 Coins said...


but only if I'd the entire content of what I needed: at this stage.just a rope.plus a lure.MinecraftZ.Over the north road I discover a pickaxe and chisel some stones from your boulder.You may use eight these stones to enhance a campfire.though I just have enough room to cart two.I eventually come upon the long row of garages again.finding every one of them closed.I open the very first.find some rope.attach it to my pole.and pause to nibble on some collected apples and drink some water.

FIFA 15 Coins PS3
FIFA 15 Coins Xbox 360