Monday, February 20, 2006

forgetfulness

I am so forgetful.

I forget that everything in my life, my breath, my thoughts, my sight -- my entire existence -- I owe to Him. I forget that awesome thrill and deep joy I felt, when I beheld His glory in His Word, and, instead, settle for fleeting and illicit pleasures that do not satisfy. I forget that by myself, I am a wretched sinner, worse than the filthiest cockroach lurking through the sewers of New York.

But what a brokenhearted joy it is that despite my shortcomings, He will never forget me!

For the sake of His great Name He will not abandon me, nor turn me away. He Himself bore the stripes I deserved, and shed His own precious blood to wash me clean. He loves me, oh, He loves me even to the end, and He will carry me Home.

Let us all love Him, we whom He redeemed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, God is a remembering God. While reading this entry, what came to my mind was Psalm 106--which actually details Israel's forgetfullness as regards the faithfulness of the Lord. Despite this, He never failed to deliver them because, as verse 8 beautifully phrases it, "He REMEMBERS His covenant forever, the word He commanded, for a thousand generations." (all caps mine for emphasis)