Thursday, May 04, 2006

snapping on a bait of $6/hr

One sweltering afternoon, about a month and a half ago, I stopped by the pathway outside our apartment and opened that rusty metal locker that was marked 15.

To my pleasant surprise, in there, amidst a pile of junk mail, sat an envelope that was addressed to a certain "Mr. Jose Faustino Sala." (Just so that you'll know, dear reader, that's me. I know, my name's strangely archaic. Blame it on my parents.)

I rarely get mail -- unlike my mother, who receives print ads and credit card offers almost every day, not to mention phone and electricity bills. And, boy, when I do get mail, I'd be as excited as when I'm greeted on the computer screen by a long-awaited letter from a dear friend.

It was from the UTPA Ambassadors Office. They were looking for thirty well-qualified students who were willing to mentor talented freshmen and represent the school in various social events next school year. (Guess what they're called? University Ambassadors. Took you a year to figure that out, huh? Haha.)

Because of my "academic achievements," as the letter put it, they were inviting me to apply to the "highly prestigious program." I had to submit a completed information sheet, a recommendation letter from a professor, a copy of my transcript, and an essay that answered the question, "What's the most important advice about college life would you give to an incoming freshman?"

It was not the prestige of being an Ambassador, nor the prospect of meeting new friends that caught my rapt attention. What did, and fully convinced me to apply, was that the Student Ambassadors will be awarded a stipend of 6 dollars for every hour of service in the program. I get paid! (!!!) In the barren pond of H4 visa unemployment, it was a rare and juicy treat for a starving carp like me. And I swallowed the bait, hook, line and sinker. After all, I thought, the stipends are scholarship money, and won't be considered as wages.

So I really prepared for my application, and submitted the requirements on time. Dr. Materon, my Microbiology professor, gladly agreed to write me a very affirming letter. I managed to whip up the application esssay the night before the deadline. (It was quite substantial, but so-so. I'll spare myself the embarrassment, and I won't post it here. Haha.)

After two weeks of mild anticipation, I received a voice message from the Office. I was told to contact the Ambassadors Office ASAP to schedule my interview. Out of the hundred students who applied, I was apparently among the forty who qualified. (I'm almost sure you'd imagine me shrieking with delight when I got the news. But I assure you, I didn't. I merely smiled. I don't really know why. Maybe I was expecting it. Hehe. Shoot me for my arrogance, now, quick!)

I immediately went to the office, and talked to Kristina, the student-in-charge. I reluctantly agreed to have it on the fourth of May, because my last Org. Chem. long test was on the same day. (which is, by the way, six days before ehrm ehrm. Don't you dare forget! Haha.)

I arrived at UTPA fifteen minutes before nine today. The campus was markedly devoid of students. The Student Union, which was usually jam-packed with herds of chattering students, was almost empty. I headed towards the University Center, where I was going to be interviewed.

The office was still locked when I got there. After a few minutes of twiddling my fingers on the glass table, and anxiously looking around for an approaching person, I was greeted by Kristina's friendly face and a cheery "Hi! Are you ready for the interview?"

Being a man of few words in times of distress, I just grinned and muttered, "I am." And feeling much like a lamb about to be shorn of its fur, I quietly followed in her wake.

That was long. That's yet another reason why I should update my blog regularly: I wouldn't have to write treatises as long as this every time I want to share you something interesting.

But my eyebags are hanging out on my cheeks like lead weights. I've incurred enough sleep debt to declare bankruptcy. But tomorrow's another day. A dead day, which means no classes for me! I'll finish this tomorrow. I hope. Hehe.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, ang galing, nabitin ako, hope everything went well with the interview? praise God may oppurtunity kang ganyan to earn... that's more than 300 php an hour din! hahaha
~poy

Anonymous said...

you may not have shrieked, but after you smiled, you prolly danced a jig or did that signature victory sway move you always do.

LOL just imagining it .:)

Unknown said...

Hehehe. I'm sorry, Paul. I really need to get rid of my annoying habit of finishing my posts with cliffhangers.

Honestly, I was planning to include the interview in it, pero inaantok na talaga ako. Kaya di ko na natapos. Hehe. :-p

You still remember that, Glenda? Haha. And that time when I sang the first few lines of Mandy Moore's "Cry" with the wrong lyrics in front of everybody?

Sheesh, nakakahiya talaga ako. :-)

Anonymous said...

Haha. Why won't you post a uhm, video, doing that move, Jef?

merilion said...

i have a gun here. quick, where do you wanna get shot? =P

and i just might forget: happy six days from now. =)

Anonymous said...

you also have to get rid of your annoying habit of not emailing :)) hehe .... joke lang ;)

jef darling, who can ever forget the "jef" move. Whenever I imagine you doing the victory sway move I just have to laugh, and miss you even more! :)) *kaya magemail ka na sakin... guilt trip... wehehehe* oh yeah and your mini concert :) that was suuuuupeeeerrrr!

Shall I divulge other hall of shame stories. para fair hahaluan ko rin ng mga sakin.... :)) haha..joke lang.... teaser lang :)
to the grave unless you want a few laughs :)

mental movie keeps playing though... :))

merilion said...

argh. see? i did forget...

happy birthday, jef. belated. =)