Saturday, January 20, 2007

a song

I thought I'd want to share to you this song I heard in church one Sunday. As we sat down for the offertory, a pretty lady went up the sanctuary and stood in front of one of the microphones. A little later she was joined by a lanky brown-haired guy carrying a guitar, who then sat by her side. (They happened to be a newly married couple, our pastor announced afterwards. "How sweet! ..." I mused.)

After he strummed a melodious succession of broken chords -- which happened to be the song's introduction -- she started singing. As her soft but sweet voice swirled through the hall, I fell silent and listened to her words. And then when he began accompanying her with the second voice, I just couldn't help but longingly wonder when I, one with the Bride, completely free from all impure desire, could sing in a like manner to Him while I behold Him as He is.

The song is entitled, "Captivate Us."

Your face is beautiful And Your eyes are like the stars
Your gentle hands have healing there inside the scars
Your loving arms they draw me near
And Your smile it brings me peace
Draw me closer oh my Lord, Draw me closer Lord To Thee

Captivate us, Lord Jesus Set our eyes on You
Devastate us with Your presence Falling down
And rushing river, draw nearer
Holy fountain consume us with You
Captivate us Lord Jesus, with You

Your voice is powerful And Your words are radiant bright
In Your breath and shadow I will come close and abide
You whisper love and life divine And Your fellowship is free
Draw me closer O my Lord, Draw me closer Lord to Thee

Let everything be lost In the shadows of the light of Your face
Let every chain be broken from me As I’m bound in Your grace
For Your yoke is easy, Your burden is light
You’re full of wisdom, power and might
And every eye will see You

No comments: