Saturday, July 23, 2005

july 22

Yesterday was the last day I would spend in UP -- not until a few years from now. Well, it was actually more of an afternoon, because I spent the whole morning doing errands. I hope that the winds of time and change will not be merciless on my memory -- reminiscing those few hours, the smiling and crying faces of those dear and much-loved people, will be sweet.

I was late -- Paul told me he'd be at the lobby by four. The dark and brooding clouds were preparing to unleash a heavy downpour. Raindrops the size of greenpeas had already started to pelt the AS roof while I was on my way to the AS steps, so I hurriedly hailed an Ikot jeep towards Yakal. I stopped in front of Molave, and walked through the now muddy footpath to the entrance.

To my delightful surprise, Paul wasn't alone. My eyes scanned the lobby, looking for acquaintances and friends, and they weren't disappointed. Razel and Glenda were sitting side by side, Jeiel was wolfing down a plateful of bihon, Manong Ralph, Ate Ever and Ate Joan were chatting animatedly, Jaylord, Jason and Matt, Hazel and Loulou were stretching on the sofa. I saw their expectant faces light up with joy and gladness at my arrival; I'm sure they saw the same reaction at mine. By that time I knew something fishy was going on: how in the world could they all be here in the lobby, waiting for me? And then I spotted a bottle of Pepsi, two pizzas and two Red Ribbon boxes resting on the table. By George! I've been set up!

Paul explained -- he came up with the idea, and organized this going-away party for me. I thanked him so much afterwards -- he managed to do all of it despite his fatigue (he had the flu since last Wednesday, and was staying at their apartment). Lance, I found out, was still combating his classmates on his arnis class, so we had to wait for him before we start.

I know I didn't even finish writing about the prom, but about yesterday, if He wills it, I will.

No comments: